Royal Hearing
Favourite
(Proverbs 31:25-26)
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; She can laugh at the days to come.
She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue."
Tunes in My Head
Leaderboard
Create your own Friend Test here
Friday, February 02, 2007
A short tale about Priscilla
Please refer to Acts 18:1-3, 18-19, 24-26 for some reading about Priscilla. :)

I was doing some research about Priscilla and I found out several facts about her.
Firstly, her name is a Roman name and Aquila is a Jewish name, meaning she's a Roman and he's a Jew. Secondly, reliable sources of secular history states that she was from a prominent family of nobility living in Rome. So what's the point knowing this? Well, apparently Priscilla, a Roman, married Aquilla, a Jew. This marriage was likely to have met with immense disapproval and countless objections. Why? In those days, the Romans hated the Jews - The Emperor Claudius had just issued an edict expelling all Jews from Rome. Priscilla was also from a prominent family. I believe all these was even more pressurizing for her. Yet as I read from the verse, her troubles did not just end there. She was also forced to leave the place where she most likely had spent her growing up years in just because the emperor wanted the Jews out of Rome. Imagine leaving behind all your family and friends PLUS it wasn't her or her husband's choice to move. I cant imagine the stress she must had felt. The blanket discrimination and blatant disregard for people's feelings... in a way this are not exactly unfamiliar to me. In this world, life will always be unfair. People will not like you just because you were from a certain race/gender/age group/class. People may dislike you upon first sight just because of the hairstyle/clothes/bags/shoes you wear. More likely than not, when I face with such biased discrimination, I feel discouraged and have bad attitudes. I will also feel justified of having bad attitudes these people. Yet Priscilla did not focus on the negativity in her life. She simply just served God to the best of her ability and supported her husband in every good he wanted to do for God (Roman 16:15).

The implicit trust that she had in the Lord was amazing and humbles me. It makes me reflect on the extent I trust God. Do I trust God totally with my life? Or only parts of my life? Do I try to meddle in the plans He has for me as well? Looking at Priscilla it also reminded me of how even though she and Aquilla were tentmakers aka in the business of selling tents, they always made sure they served God first. Sometimes, I get so caught up in my job and other commitments that I forget that my main business is in serving the Lord.

Yep, so as we are busy in our daily lives, let's always remember what our main business is and how much we need to be surrendered to the Lord.

Labels:

ranted by Jerraine @ 11:15 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

A queen by name. A teacher by profession. Currently yet to be diagnosed as schizophrenic.

Past Rantings
The Royal Annals
My royal friends
Emotings of the sisters

Jennie Babe
Sasha
Seraphina
Mae-Re-Lyn
Gwennie
Yanni

Ramblings from the guys...

Quek
MoJoJoe
Khiok Seng
Hanchong
Kelvin the Pang
Alex
Dewey
David

Others

SG Campus Blog! (NEW)
Template by

Free Blogger Templates
Edited by Jerraine
BLOGGER